Reading books is as much fun, and as much habit-forming as playing a video game. That’s what we tell people who come to Kaleidoscope, wishing their children were a little more interested in reading. However, for book-reading to become a habit, children need to be introduced to the joys of reading for its own sake.
We’ve always believed that children develop a reading habit when they enjoy books for the worlds it opens up for them. We’ve also noticed that children find it off-putting to be set well-intentioned “reading assignments” at the end of which they have to generate a report or review of what they have read. So we formulated these beleifs into a new reading program. We’ve called it “What’re you reading?”
The program is for young children aged 6-9 years. In this program:
- Children develop a comfort with books and reading and enjoy professional audio books.
- They discover the joy of words, pictures, stories. This happens by
- listening to facilitators read aloud books,
- reading books themselves
- participating in role-based reading with the group
- recording, and listening to their own voice (this gives them powerful, feedback on their reading, free of value judgements)
- As a by-product, children improve their vocabulary, acquire correct pronunciation and develop listening skills.
- And importantly, children learn to value books, and handle them with care.
One hour sessions, three times a week – on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. 4.30 pm to 5.30 pm
12 sessions per month. This is an on-going program. You can join the program at any time.
Fee per month: Rs 1000
The second in the Positive Parenting Series happened today.
As with the last session, the talk was a good blend of child development, nutrition science and practical tips for today’s parents.
- The reasons for eating related issues are different for children between 1-5 years and for those between 6-10years. This is because of the difference in growth rates as well as the influences on the child in those periods
- At some ages, children will prefer day long snacking to having three meals. It’s ok , so long as some nutritional balance can be maintained.
- All eating issues that can not be traced to genetical, emotional or specific health causes, are due to HABIT and attitude. Both can be influenced by parents over time.
Here’re are slides Geeta used for the session. They don’t capture the richness of the discussions, examples and insights from the session… but you might like to see them nonetheless.
Tantrum Troubles. Developing desirable behavior in your child.
Saturday, Nov 22, 11 am to 1 pm.
The first of the Positive Parenting sessions happened on Nov 8. Geeta’s approach to the seminar was just perfect – balancing the science behind hyperactivity, with down-to-earth, practical tips to deal with it. The discussions in the group involved a lot of examples, comparing of notes, questions, answers… (and some relief to parents who found that they were really not alone!)
Key takeaways from the seminar:
- Overactivity or high energy is often mistaken for hyperactivity.
- Hyperactivity can be established only after a clinical assessment. This is usually not done before the child is five years old.
- In case you believe your child may be hyperactive, you would be better off consulting a psychologist before going to a neurologist or psychiatrist. You’ll be able to make a more informed decision about the need for medication.
Other discussion points:
- The scientific basis of our understanding of hyperactivity.
- Specific signs of age-inappropriate activity
- Concrete tips to deal with excessive activity.
Poster courtesy www.adrianbruce.com
Our popular fun and phonics class is being re-launched on popular demand! The Phonics program is only for 5 and 6 year olds (UKG / PP2)
What is Phonics? Phonemic awareness is the understanding of, and the ability to manipulate, the smallest units of sound that make up spoken words. While phonemic awareness is not necessary for understanding and speaking the language, research has shown that it is critical to reading success. It has been shown to be an important factor that distinguishes successful from disabled readers.
About the program: The basic purpose of building a good foundation in phonics is to help the children hear and understand the sounds from which words are made. This understanding of sound / symbol correspondence and knowledge of sound relationships that make up the spoken language lays the foundation for the transition to written language. Once the children have learned to think about words in terms of their component sounds, reading and spelling become easier.
Methodology: The Phonics @ Kaleidoscope program consists of quick game like activities and provides the children with easy practice in discriminating the sound that make up words. The major categories of activities are Symbol and Sound association, Sight word recognition, oral blending reading exercises and story based activities.
Duration and schedule: This is a 7-week program from Nov 4th to Dec 18th. The classes will be on Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday between 4.30 pm and 5.30 pm.
Fee: Rs 1800
The dates for the seven series workshop have been modified. Please mark your calendars!
Parenting is challenging. You need to not only nourish your child, but also nurture him or her into a sensitive, curious and bright individual. Today, parenting by observation and advice alone does not seem to be enough. The environment changes every day, and so do parenting challenges. It’s a skill that needs learning and support.
Kaleidoscope presents a series of seven sessions on effective parenting.
- Bouncing off the walls: Understanding and handling the hyperactive child.
Nov 8, Sat, 11 am to 1 pm
- I’m not eating that!! Getting your child to be friends with food.
Nov 15, Sat, 11 am to 1 pm
- Tantrum Troubles: Developing desirable behaviour in your child.
Nov 22, Sat, 11 am to 1 pm
- Learninp qrodlems: Making learning enjoyable for your child
Nov 29, Sat, 11 am to 1 pm
- Dealing with Disorders: Bedwetting, Pica and other childhood problems
Dec 6, Sat, 11 am to 1 pm
- Toy Story: The importance of play; and finding the right toys and games for your child
Dec 13, Sat, 11 am to 1 pm
- Great in groups: Making your child comfortable in a social environment
Dec 20 Sat, 11 am to 1 pm
Have fun playing with clay in our next Sunday workshop. While the workshop is aimed primarily at children, there’s nothing to stop the grown ups from pampering the inner child!
What to expect:
- Mix, mould and shape clay. Make concrete or abstract forms (Specially beneficial in developing spatial skills – not to mention nimble fingers).
- Get tips from our instructor in making geometrical and non geometrical shapes
- Invent your own shapes and textures; have fun!
- Take home what you make.
We’ll give you the materials. Just bring yourself (and your child, a friend, a parent or anyone else!), and your sense of fun!
When: Sunday Oct 19, 3 pm to 6 pm
Fee: Rs 200
Meetu Chawla of Rainbow Planet presents an interactive story session!
The art and science of stories program
Saturday, Sep 13, 2008, 10.30 pm to 12.30 pm.
program combines learning science, art and craft through stories. The program helps children develop
- Early science skills
- An enthusiasm for learning
- An ability to interpret and communicate ideas
- A love of books
The program is designed to provide lots of activity and fun built around a story.
This is an introductory session. A full-fledged 5-day session is being offered during the Dasara vacations. Watch this space or call us for details.