The first of the Positive Parenting sessions happened on Nov 8. Geeta’s approach to the seminar was just perfect – balancing the science behind hyperactivity, with down-to-earth, practical tips to deal with it. The discussions in the group involved a lot of examples, comparing of notes, questions, answers… (and some relief to parents who found that they were really not alone!)
Key takeaways from the seminar:
- Overactivity or high energy is often mistaken for hyperactivity.
- Hyperactivity can be established only after a clinical assessment. This is usually not done before the child is five years old.
- In case you believe your child may be hyperactive, you would be better off consulting a psychologist before going to a neurologist or psychiatrist. You’ll be able to make a more informed decision about the need for medication.
Other discussion points:
- The scientific basis of our understanding of hyperactivity.
- Specific signs of age-inappropriate activity
- Concrete tips to deal with excessive activity.